About Mayor Dean Maxwell ...
Mayor Dean Maxwell is completing his fifth term as full-time Mayor of Anacortes. His service and commitment to this community were nurtured by the late former Anacortes Mayor Jim Rice, a mentor and member of Dean’s church, and by his life experiences growing up in Anacortes.
Born in Shelby, Montana, Dean’s family moved to Anacortes in 1957. A deep caring for community is evident in the Maxwell family. Dean’s father served as mayor in the town of Sunburst, Montana, prior to being transferred to Anacortes with the Texaco Refining Corporation. Dean’s grandfather held several township and county offices and was elected to the South Dakota legislature.
Dean graduated from Anacortes High School in 1973 and attended WSU and the University of Washington, graduating in 1977 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Prior to being elected mayor in 1994, Dean worked for 16 years in the construction industry. He earned a journeyman carpentry card after a 4-year apprenticeship training while working with former Mayor Jim Rice. Dean went on to hold construction management positions for Snelson/Anvil, Peter Kiewitt, Stearns Rogers, and the Vemo Company.
At the urging of Mayor Rice, Dean was appointed to the Ward 3 council member position to fill a vacancy, and subsequently was re-elected to a second term. Dean also served three years on the Board of Adjustment (1983-1986) and three years as an Anacortes reserve police officer. He began his first term as mayor in 1994.
In addition to Dean’s full-time mayoral duties, Dean currently serves on a number of state and county boards:
• Emergency Management Council member
• Skagit Regional Transportation and Planning Organization member
• Skagit Transit Board of Directors member
• Skagitonians to Preserve Farmlands former advisory board member
• Boys & Girls Clubs of Skagit County Board of Directors
• Skagit County’s Elected Representative to the Coalition to End Homelessness
• Association of Washington Cities Legislative and Resolution Committee Member
• Association of Washington Cities Employee Benefit Trust Board of Trustees
• Anacortes Chamber of Commerce board nember
• Skagit County Community Action Agency Board of Directors
Dean enjoys many hobbies and outside activities, and he has been happily married to his wife, Lisa, for 34 years.
Dean takes immense pride in this community’s citizens, and he recognizes that their volunteer spirit has produced many wonderful and highly valued community benefits. He values that sense of partnership and pledges to enhance it at every opportunity.
His service and commitment to this community were nurtured by the late former Anacortes Mayor Jim Rice, a mentor and member of Dean’s church, and by his life experiences growing up in Anacortes.